- 8"x10" piece of cardboard with a 4"x6" hole cut in the middle of it.
- ruler or measuring tape
- glue (either wood glue or tacky glue, plus hot glue gun and sticks)
- quilt batting
- spray adhesive
- exacto knife, box cutter or mat cutter, plus straight edge or cutting board
- mat board (about 20" x 12")
- 5"x7" plexiglass
- old paint brush
- fabric remnants, including jeans and varying textures of knits, "leathers", etc.
- needle and embroidery floss
After cutting my board that is going to be the frame and put the hole in the middle of it, I hit it with a light coat of spray adhesive and placed my quilt batting on it. I trimmed the quilt batting from the hole in the middle. You can just glue it on if you don't have spray adhesive.
I was using a piece of 8"x10" glass as a guide, but it's not necessary. I took a leg from a pair of jeans and opened it up. I laid my glass down on it and positioned it to where I wanted it, and trimmed to about an inch and a half all the way around. I saw that there was a pocket in the way, so I used my seam ripper to remove it.
Unfortunately, when I removed the pocket, I put a small hole in the denim. It's right on the corner, so it needed to be fixed.
It's a very easy fix, just a bit of glue on the fabric and a small patch on the inside. Since this isn't going to be washed, this will hold it permanently.
I laid my frame down onto the fabric, and drew three outlines. I traced around the inside and outside of the frame, and a small hole in the middle, approximately an inch from the edge. It's not important to be exact.
I made some cuts along the edges of the fabric, being careful not to cut past my frame outline.
I used my "leather" fabric and glued it around the edge of the frame with hot glue.
I wanted an added border of some rope, and I wanted the edges to look a little loose but I don't want them to unravel. I hit them a couple times with the spray adhesive and lightly pinched them to smooth them down.