Friday, February 3, 2012

Salmon Patties

I grew up on mackerel patties, but my mother-in-law used salmon and I always loved when she made them. My husband, however, cannot stand any sort of fish and never let me cook them so I forgot they exist. Recently, the idea was put back into my head, and as I usually eat the pre-manufactured battered and fried, god-knows-what's-in-them white fish fillets from the frozen food section for lunch most days, I decided to give these a shot instead. Oooooh yummy! Eat them with a little bit of horseradish sauce and you're in business!


1 can of salmon, drained and bones & skin removed.
1/3 of a tube of saltine crackers (about 1/3 cup)
1 egg
2 tbs. finely minced onion
2 tbs. finely minced green pepper
2 tbs. finely minced celery
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic peper

Heat a large heavy bottom skillet with a 1/2 inch of oil (I prefer canola). Mix ingredients together by hand until most of the salmon chunks are broken down and the other ingredients are well incorporated. Divide into six portions and shape into a patty. When the oil is hot enough, fry for about 5 minutes on each side, then drain on paper towels.

No comments:

Post a Comment