Monday, February 11, 2013

Thrifty Shrimp and Tomato Soup

I make this soup for my lunch on days that we had shrimp the evening before. Even better if we had shrimp creole!

I never through away my shrimp shells without first making a stock out of them. In this case, I took my trimmings from the vegetables I used in the shrimp creole and stewed them with the shells.

Shrimp shells
Bell Pepper bits
Onion ends and skins
Garlic cloves, whole
3 cups of water


I tossed these into a pan with a pinch of salt and stewed them for an hour. Afterward, I strained the liquid into a jar and set in the refrigerator for the next two days. You can also freeze your broth.




I take a cup and a half of the stock and whisk it with 2 tbs. of tomato paste and heat it on the stove.

The avocado is wonderfully creamy with the soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment