Saturday, October 27, 2012

I Made a Blueberry Cake

It wasn't my idea to make a blueberry cake, this post on allrecipes.com prompted this girl to make it and add some crazy good frosting to it.

I did tweak it, although I am sure there is nothing wrong with the recipe. Only, it didn't serve my needs and part of it didn't make a lot of sense while in the process of making it.

Firstly, I don't have an 8 inch pan. I have a big family, therefore I have a 9" x 13" cake pan. Anything smaller is inviting mutiny. So I increased the eggs to three, then the flour to 2 cups and increased the baking powder. I then added a lot more milk than the recipe called for, which did make me wonder if the original measurements were off. But then again, the recipe was tried and reposted, so maybe not. Here is the recipe, adapted for a larger group of people with hefty appetites.

1/2 cup butter (stick) - softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3 eggs, separated
2 cups flour + 1 tbsp.
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 1/3 cups milk (approximate)
2 cups of blueberries (room temperature)

8 oz cream cheese
1 tsp. lemon zest
3 tbsp. butter (stick)
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp. milk

Preheat the oven to 350F and oil/flour a 9" x 13" cake pan.

In one bowl, beat together sugar, stick butter and egg yolks until creamy. In a separate bowel, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix the dry ingredients into the moist - alternating with the milk. Add enough milk so that when you've finished mixing the dry ingredients in, you have a thick but not solid batter.

Toss the blueberries to coat with flour and fold them gently into the cake batter. Whip up the egg whites and fold them in as well.

Pour into the pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.


To make the frosting, beat 3 tbsp. butter with the cream cheese and lemon zest and milk. Slowly mix in the confectioners sugar until you have the consistency that you want. Frost your cake once it has cooled, and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment