Let me talk for a little bit about my measurements and how I did the math to make this skirt.
First, I measured her waste. I got 20 inches. I approximated how much width I wanted at the bottom of the skirt, and figured on 24 inches. For more of an A-line skirt, I should have went for 28 or 30 inches around the bottom.
I had decided that I wanted my my blocks to be 2.5 inches from the insides of the seams, and that I wanted a half inch seam around each block. So I needed to figure out how many 2.5 inch blocks I needed to give me 20 inches in the waste. Dividing 20 by 2.5 and I got 8 blocks, even.
Knowing that I wanted 8 blocks, with a half inch seam on each side, and that I wanted them to be 2.5 inches at the top, but needing to have the skirt wider at the bottom, I knew I was going to have a different width for the bottom blocks than the top ones. Okay, so 24 inches divided by 8 blocks gave me 3" - so I needed to add a half inch per block at the bottom (making this an A-line skirt, I would increase that to a full inch).
I hope you're still with me. I didn't want to cut different sized blocks. It's really a matter of sewing a diagonal seam from the top of the skirt to the bottom. - So, knowing at their widest they needed to be 3 inches, but with a half inch seam, I knew I wanted my blocks to be 4 inches wide. But they needed to lose a half inch at the top, or a quarter inch on each seam. Therefore, I decided the best way to make the skirt was to cut my 4 inch blocks and sew them together into strips vertically, using a half inch seam. Once I had my strips sewn from top to bottom, I pinned them together and marked a half inch for the seam at the bottom and 3/4 inch seam at the top. And then I sewed from point to point.
If I were to make this an A-line skirt, I would want them to be 3.5 inches at the bottom, so I would cut my squares to 4.5 inches wide. I would then mark the half inch seam allowance on the bottom and a full inch seam on the top and again, sew from point to point.
Okay, now that I've cleared that up, here's the tutorial.
I pressed them flat and laid them out, arranging them so that I wouldn't have two of the same side by side.
Shortly after, I hemmed the bottom.
This part can get a little tricky. You may have to remove the belt loops to reposition them. I cut off upper snap, a half inch behind the closest belt loop, and set it aside.
Taking the longer portion of the waste band with the bottom snap attached, I inserted my skirt into the gap where the fabric was for the pants I just removed. I sewed this down along the same stitch marks that held it in place when it was on the pants.
Once it was sewn down securely, I could fold it back over and it would snap in place. I used a needle and thread to hand sew the belt loop down on the bottom, and the belt loop hides this seam.
I then used the needle and thread to sew down all the rest of the bottoms of the belt loops.
I knew that I wanted to be careful to get the just the right fray on it, and I had a particular look in mind. It did take a couple of days and it did make a huge mess!
But I do feel that in the end it was worth it.
After trimming off my excess threads and washing/drying it, my little girl has a very unique skirt that she totally loves!